Sofa Seat Comfort
All our sofas and sectional sofas have ergonomic seating designs that provide optimum seating comfort for most people based on their unique sitting preferences.
Read on to discover how we made this possible and also find your ideal sofa that best fits your sitting preferences.
Key Factors to Consider For Sofa Comfort
Factors to Consider
Four key factors combine to determine the seat comfort.
- Seat firmness
- Back height
- Seat depth
- Seat height
Seat firmness relates to how soft or firm the sofa feels when we sit on it whilst back height, seat depth and seat height greatly impacts on seat comfort based on our sitting posture.
We label these clearly for all our sofas to assist you with finding the sofa that offers you maximum comfort.
As seat comfort differs across different people, we show these factors in terms of highs and lows within a fixed range instead of absolute comfort (see illustration).
Read on to understand what these measurements imply when you are assessing a sofa for comfort.
Illustration of Seat Comfort Detail Provided
Seat Firmness Guidelines
How we determine the seat firmness for our sofas?
Foam firmness are measured by indentation force deflection ("IFD"), we also use this to measure the firmness of our sofa seats.
IFD represents the force required to indent a foam sample by 25% of its original height when force is applied to a 50 inch squared surface area. For sofas, a 30 - 40 IFD denotes medium firmness.
For seat cushions, we control the seat firmness by adjusting the mixture of multi-layer foams. For example, if we want a softer seat, we use a thicker layer of foams that are softer.
Do note that the softness of the seats is not directly related to the seats' durability. This is decided by foam density. For both soft foams and firm foams, we use foams with density greater than 45kg/cbm. This ensures the durability of our seats regardless of whether they are soft or firm.
Multipler Layer Foam Illustration
Our Sofa Collections Classifications Based on Seat Firmness
For seat comfort, our range of sofas have IFDs between 25 - 45. We do not offer sofas with seat firmness that are either too soft or too hard as we believe that it is uncomfortable either way. Categorization of our sofa collections in terms of seat firmness are as follow:
- Soft seats with sink in feeling (IFD between 25 - 30): Carson Sofa Collection, Cloud Sofa Collection
- Medium firm seats that feels just right for everyone (IFD between 30 - 40): Castle Sofa Collection, Charmy Sofa Collection, Comfy Sofa Collection, Crystal Sofa Collection
- Firmer seats for people who prefer sitting upright more (IFD between 40 - 45): Calm Sofa Collection, Colby Sofa Collection
Seat Dimension Guidelines
Relationship of Seat Dimensions to Sitting Posture
Aside from the seat firmness, dimensions for back height, seat height and seat depth determine how comfortable it is to sit upright or lounge and relax on the sofa.
In general, the following configurations work well depending on the desired posture you want to take on your sofa:
- More formal, upright posture with feet placed on the ground: higher back height and seat height, lower seat depth
- More relaxed and lounging posture: deeper seat depth, lower seat height and back height
Sitting Posture Illustration
Sofa Collections Classifications Based on Sitting Posture
We see the homes as a place for relaxation. Thus, all of our sofas can support the relaxed and lounging posture with some collections also comfortable for the sitting upright posture. Key breakdowns by posture as below:
- Collections that can support sitting upright and lounging: Calm Sofa Collection, Charmy Sofa Collection, Comfy Sofa Collection
- Recommended back height range: 35cm - 45cm
- Recommended seat height range: 40cm - 45cm
- Recommended seat depth range: 53cm - 68cm
- Collections that are best fitted for lounging: Carson Sofa Collection, Castle Sofa Collection, Cloud Sofa Collection, Colby Sofa Collection, Crystal Sofa Collection
- Recommended back height range: 30cm - 40cm
- Recommended seat height range: 40cm - 45cm
- Recommended seat depth range: 60cm - 75cm
Summary of Sofa Collections Based on Sitting Preferences
We hope that you can now make a more informed decision based on the seat comfort information that we provide for all our sofas. To help you better navigate our sofa collections by seat firmness and sitting posture preferences, kindly refer to our categorizations below:
- Sofa collections with softs seats meant for lounging: Carson Sofa Collection, Cloud Sofa Collection
- Sofa collections with medium firm seats meant for lounging: Castle Sofa Collection, Crystal Sofa Collection
- Sofa collections with medium firm seats meant for lounging or sitting upright: Charmy Sofa Collection, Comfy Sofa Collection
- Sofa collections with firmer seats meant for lounging: Colby Sofa Collection
- Sofa collections with firmer seats meant for lounging or sitting upright: Calm Sofa Collection